Today (6-9-2009) started out in Cuba Missouri with clear skies and 70 degree
weather. The bike need a good washing
so I went to the car wash took this picture and decided that I would rather ride than wash and left.
Cuba is quickly becoming known for it's beautiful historical murals. Each shows an important part of the history of Cuba.
This mural is of the Gold Star Boys who were the young men of Cuba who gave their lives for our freedom in WWII.
This one tells the history of the apple orchards in Cuba.
Another nice work of art.
This rocking chair is the largest I have ever seen. It was recently added to the Guinness Book of Records as the largest in the world.
Below is a mural that is painted on the general store next to the rocking chair.
On the way out of Cuba I passed Missouri Hicks Barbecue and snapped these photos. I think the second one is best.
I decided to make a quick stop at the Jesse James Museum.
I left the museum and a few miles later a heard a noise from the motorcycle that it shouldn't be making. My perfect day and schedule was about to change.
My exhaust pipe had broken at the point where in goes under the seat of the motorcycle. Bourbeuse Harley ( a good friend of The Mother Road Rally) had the part needed and pulled a motorcycle off the lift, put mine on, and worked through lunch to get me back on the road. Three hours later I was on the road again.
THANK YOU ALL AT BOURBEUSE HARLEY !!!!
I left Missouri and entered Illinois. I was four hours behind schedule so I didn't make any stops for pictures till I arrived in Dwight Illinois.
The first people I saw in Dwight were part of a biker gang. The leader told me I could follow them to Chicago.
It was great to see this years Rally Master for the ride George Higgins and his wife Ann. John Stoughton will be the tail gunner for the ride this year.
It was back to the Mother Road on Wednesday morning. I toured Dwight Illinois while George and crew headed to chicago.
The Java Stop was an interesting building to stop for a cup of coffee.
I was sorry to see that it had closed.
The oldest running gas station on Route 66 was this Texaco Station which has now been turned into a museum.
I love these old signs.
Well it's been a great ride to Chicago so far. I will be spending time with some friends in the area the next couple of days and will wash both bike and clothes before heading to Willowbrook Illinois for the start of the fifteenth annual Mother Road Rally Ride. I will start a new blog friday night to chronicle this years ride of the Mother Road.
I'll see you on Route 66 " The Mother Road"
No comments:
Post a Comment